Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Practically a Sampler of Ducks

Late in the day I went out on Ediz Hook, hoping for ducks and a quiet time to read the journal article assigned for Wednesday night's community education class ("Our Coastal Issues"). There were several big ships in harbor, Alaskan Navigator, Seaservice... the embarassing truth is Ms. Shipwatcher here was not thinking about ships. I didn't write them down, only put the binoculars on two of them to get their names, didn't check the shiptracker websites (1, 2, 3) when I got home.

There were a couple dozen ducks around the small boat docks and under the Pilot Station, a roster of ducky superstars: surf scoters, harlequin ducks, Barrow's goldeneye, buffleheads, maybe a pair of lesser scaup, and some sort of grebe. Need better binoculars, and a better camera.

Pilot Station, with Seaservice in background. (Click for larger image.)

P.S. Coho is back from drydock, makes his first run this morning. It's chilly, nearly freezing out, but I have the window open, so I don't miss hearing the blast of his horn.

P.P.S. I did not hear the ferry. According to the shiptrackers he's well on his way. #disappointment

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just added your feed to my favorites. I really enjoy reading your posts.