Sunday, August 23, 2009

Science Day #2

The small cetacean carcass was still there this morning: a little more beat up, rolled by the surf so you couldn't see the dorsal fin any more, and smelling a whole lot worse. It measured 136 cm or so (I was reluctant to touch it with the tape measure). At 136 cm it's within the size range for a harbor porpoise. But harbor porpoises don't have beaks, which this critter seems to have. If I am understanding what I see. So identification still in doubt. Images (large, for OCNMS & COASST):

  beak1
  beak2
  with 30 cm ruler
  tail
  pecfin
  see earlier post for other image links

Later I talked to a park ranger. He said there were a couple of dolphin or porpoise carcasses moving up and down the beach with the tides, and a harbor seal. He had already reported at least one. I showed him pictures in the camera of the one on the jetty beach; he thought it was new, not yet reported.

So on I went, to survey the Ellen Creek beach segment. Such a gorgeous morning, tide rising now from a considerable low, large numbers of backpackers coming south along the beach.

Beautiful day on Rialto Beach, August 23, 2009. (Click for larger image.)

And there in the surf line, looking at first like any small rock or small mound of seaweed, was a Bird. Intact, flexible, a bit sandy, the incoming waves washing around it.

Small dead bird in the surf line. (Click for larger image.)

I ran up the beach to park my gear, ran back down and carried the little dead bird up above last night's tide line. There followed a long struggle with tools and field guide and gloves and camera. I think it's a common murre. Formal identification photos (1)(2)(3).

Made a complete hash of working in an orderly fashion, gloving up and ungloving and gloving up and finally abandoning the gloves. And I couldn't remember where I was supposed to put the tags if I had an intact bird. Tagged the wrong place; should have been the right wing; but in fact I'd have hesitated to poke holes in the little fresh body even if I'd remembered that's what I was supposed to do. I'll do better next time.

No comments: