Sunday, August 23, 2009

Dolphin (or Porpoise)

#Citizensciencefail: Found a small dead seemed-to-be-a-dolphin, somewhat decomposed, on the Rialto Jetty beach segment Saturday noon. No matter what species, whether dolphin or porpoise, must be a juvenile, because it seemed to be smaller than any of the identification guides give as size ranges. I did look closely and took pictures; but it never crossed my mind to take out my bird tools and measure with the tape, or place the ruler for scale, so pictures fairly useless. I had accidentally left the folder where I keep the extra forms, including 'Marine Mammal Stranding Report Level A Data' form, at home; or writing it down would have prompted me to measure him/her.

It wasn't a bird, so I didn't do my job as a citizen scientist. Perhaps I was asleep. Perhaps my brain's cognitive processes are permanently damaged by the past six weeks of being mostly absent from my life. I sure hope I wasn't supposed to call someone to look at it because now it is too late.

The tide was just washing around it, probably moved it. But I am going back today because I haven't done my Ellen Creek survey segment yet. Instead spent two hours watching the full tide waves wash in instead. So will first look southwards for the critter before heading north.

I will fill out a Marine Mammal form even though I lack almost all information. Sparing readers the sights, here are links to large photos, so you can see details and also seaweed which is all we have for scale.

  dolphin1 (large)
  dolphin2 (large)
  video of critter

I could of course pretend that I was not on an official COASST survey when I found it, then I wouldn't be responsible for measuring or reporting. But I was. Backpack OCNMS #70 on my back full of measuring tools and a Marine Mammal indentification pamphlet. Citizen science fizzle.