Saturday, July 07, 2007

How Many Books Did You Bring?

Fortunately, nobody at Johanneshof is going to ask me how many books I've brought, the way my mom and sister always do; so I won't have to lie.

I keep adding books to the pile by the suitcase. The scale of just-in-case reading needed for international travel is well beyond that for a weekend jaunt to visit my mom. I am bringing Jack Kerouac's Desolation Angels, Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises (the British paperback with the alternate title, Fiesta); for the non-fiction that would last forever if I get stuck somewhere and run out of everything else, Lisa Randall's Warped Passages. And seven mysteries (well yeah; it's a ten-hour flight each way, and lots of airport waiting time, and that's before anything goes wrong...)

And also Kaz Tanahashi's translations from Dogen, Moon in a Dewdrop. Which hardly counts as reading matter. But in theory at least, the Dogen seminar which Baker Roshi and Norman Fischer are presenting is part of what I am going there for. (And no, seminar won't be in German. Roshi and Norman teach in English, with translators.)

The other part: to touch base with very old friends, before moving on into my new life.

No comments: