Thursday, April 12, 2012

When It's Blue Out

I spend a lot of time looking out my windows. Whatever the weather. Blue weather doesn't so much inspire me to want to get out of the house as inspire me to hang around, catching glimpses of the blue bits of horizon as I sit at my desk or walk from room to room. Starting around now, the morning sun has moved far enough north that it shines into the house from the corner of the deck at sunrise...


There are houses, the alley, the forsythia by the blue garage, sunsets, gulls, crows on the wires. But mostly there's that horizon.

My attention zooms in. Ships pass by the bottom of the street.

This jaunty little dude is the ferry, Coho. (Click for larger image.)
The car carrier Mermaid Ace, which apparently had come from Vancouver and was passing by the bottom of the street only to pick up her pilot. One of those ship movements that constitutes a mystery... (Click for larger image.)

Victoria's lights at night. San Juan Island straight out. Mount Baker 90 miles to the northeast.

Usually when it's looking good out there and I want a picture, I pop out onto the deck. But the other morning walked right up to the window to do it, just to prove to myself it's the same world on either side of the glass.

Mount Baker Sunrise, April 8, 2012 (Click for larger image.)

This post is actually for Roshi, who asked about my windows.

No comments: