Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Another Storm Coming

Another storm coming, rain through the weekend, they are saying back in the staff workroom. Unfair to beachbunnies, say I. But so far the storms have been warm. We've had all this rain, and rivers going up and down, but up on Hurricane Ridge there is still no snow by the visitor center.

Hurricane Ridge Webcam, 1PM, November 4 (Click for larger image.)

Later: Wow. They certainly think it's going to rain. The gauge on the Elwha expects the river to really jump up.

Expected flow on the Elwha River (Click for larger image.)

Later still: read Cliff Mass Weather Blog, and admire this fabulous animation from the U. of Washington meteorology department. Waves. There's gonna be waves. Thanks to CS for pointing this out.

4 comments:

Gator said...

So, will we see you out there hanging ten this weekend? :)


P.S. I had to shut down my blog because some fellow surfers were not very enthusiastic about the information I was sharing. I'm still avidly following your adventures though!

mb said...

Oh hey, Gator. Good to see you here. I'm still trying to understand the relationship of swell, surf, tides, and wind waves. I probably will go out to the west end in the rain at some point this weekend, just beachbunnying you know. Am wondering if it would make a difference what direction a beach faces, i.e., will Rialto be different from First Beach???

Mir

Gator said...

Good to hear that you got out to see the big waves. There are lots of interesting connections among swell, surf, tides, and wind waves. I find it to be a fun and complex field of study and I suggest getting ahold of some oceanography textbooks to learn more. If you like math, I recommend these:

My college textbook:
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Physical-Oceanography-John-Knauss/dp/0132381559

Published online and open source textbook:
http://oceanworld.tamu.edu/resources/ocng_textbook/contents.html


For a less math-intensive approach, try this one:
http://books.google.com/books?id=tFJRLhSez_YC&dq=0750652780&source=gbs_navlinks_s

And wikipedia on forecasting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_wave_model


Happy wave watching and happy birthday!

mb said...

Yumm, thanks for the citations. I think I'll go with the less-mathematical options. _Ocean Circulation_ here I come.