Thursday, October 15, 2009

Well, Then

M.-S.'s email to COASST volunteers says that the algal bloom is still out there, but we are not getting harmful foam on the waves and not getting new bird mortalities on the beaches; and "I am pleased to say that preliminary estimates indicate that though alarming for those of us on the beach, the numbers were not sufficient to cause a population level effect to the scoter population." We can return to our normal survey patterns, she says.

So I did my usual monthly beach survey for dead birds on Saturday, and saw happy LIVE scoters, 40 or so, bobbin' around out beyond the surf. They were pretty far away to get a good look but there was one whose face markings and patch on his head plainly said 'scoter' to my binoculars. Purely anecdotal evidence that enough of them survived. Yaay.

(To my disappointment, however, I was not suddenly miraculously returned to when I could expect to find no dead birds, which is the norm on my two beaches. Three carcasses tagged last month were still there, and had to be examined and recorded; plus there was one 'new' one, though not fresh, really as long-dead as the re-finds. And I couldn't identify it because couldn't examine the feet closely and couldn't get a wing chord and I looked at Every Picture In the ID Book to no avail, which made me feel inadequate, though I'm sure my COASST mentors will be able to recognize it from the photographs. MUCH prefer doing the survey and having nothing to write down except the weather.)

What else. I went up on top of the jetty and looked over at the river. Pelicans sitting around, pelicans flying by, and lots of gulls. The waves came in quietly on the beach side. I sat for a long time and finished the then-current book.

Gulls disturbed by a small boat, Quileute River, October 10, 2009 (Click for larger image.)

Need some place to make the ID photos available, so herewith, October 10, 2009:
   On Ellen Creek Beach, a refind of a Western Gull someone mysteriously tagged with only one tie (red, so #1) WEGU (1)(2)(3); and bird #768, unknown (768a)(768b)(768c)(768d)
   On Rialto Jetty Beach, two refinds: a white-winged scoter #762 first tagged on 9/20 (1)(2), and a common murre #757 first tagged on 9/14 (1)(2).

No comments: