Thursday, September 10, 2009

Brief Intermezzo (NPR Calls Them "Buttons")

Earlier in the week on both my primary email lists, PubLib and NGC4Lib (Next-Generation Catalogs for Libraries), people were articulate and depressed on the subject of the apparent impending demise of our profession. It made me wish I were not increasingly "unmoored from the Great Library Raft of Raison" (as L.M. put it); I want to have gone down with the ship if it is going down. I want to continue to belong to readers and the servants of readers; to answerers of information needs, shelterers of the needy, purveyors of enjoyments; and to the kind of techies and madmen whose idea of fun is to tinker up projects like John Blyberg's catalog card generator.

I need to put the next issue of the Poetry Broadside up on the web this weekend, it's overdue; and I need to have the discernment to spend the coming last beautiful long days up on the mountain, and then out at the ocean, instead.

http://www.blyberg.net/card-generator/ made this. Thank you, John. (Click for larger image.)

No comments: