Friday, April 10, 2009

Seeing

In my persona as helper to tribal libraries, I was back out at La Push on Thursday, working in the Quileute school library again. Before heading home, I sat out on the point and looked for whales. After a bit, saw them.

Last year I started too early, was looking and looking in February and early March when they weren't there to be seen; and I get it that I need to be upslope a little, up on a log, or at an overlook; but the crucial difference is the thing I learned from the couple on the beach on Tuesday: watch for five minutes. Not walking along watching, just stand still and watch. They're there.

First Beach, James Island, Quileute River channel, and out to the west.

The weather was better, sky bluer, no glare. There were a number of spyhops, and once I was even pointing the binoculars where a whale just slowly stuck his barnacled head straight up and then sank down again. Another moment there were three different blows within a couple of seconds at three different spots: three whales.

I couldn't stay, was leaving for Tucson at impossible AM the next morning and not packed yet. But had a happy half hour. When they're there, they're there. Watch for five minutes and you will see them blow.

No comments: