Monday, December 17, 2007

ABE Habit

Reverse progress in the 'lighten the baggage' realm. Sigh. I try to use the Abebooks 'Save for later' option to protect myself, but sometimes it backfires.

"Gotta return this library book, The Rain Forests of Home, no more renewals available and I've not even started it yet. Oooh. Let's buy one. Oooh look, here's Waves and Beaches and The Secret Project Notebook just waiting here quietly in the shopping basket. Why, just clicky clicky and all three will come!! Yum."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just came back from the library where I formally requested they add abook to their collection. I have never done that before. Incredible. I wonder if they really will. The reference librarian said, "This is a popular topic this week." I said, "What (the title of the book)? She said "No, Buddhism".

Delightful. When I was a child I had a huge library habit. It seems to be coming back.....

mb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mb said...

I used to assume that all libraries were as generous in their practices as My Former Place of Work. But it does seem fairly likely that your library will respond, especially as it's a popular topic. Did they say they would let you know the outcome, and put a hold on it for you, etc?

And if the answer is no, might they borrow it for you from out of town? The library here charges $5 per transaction for out-of-town borrowing; shocked me silly when I discovered that fact, and I haven't done an interlibrary loan since arriving here. MFPOW never charged for anything.

Anonymous said...

They didn't say anything - just took the request form from me. We'll see. I did tell the reference librarian that they had some good books in their buddhist collection but not many new ones. She said she had nothing to with 'acquisitions and development'. That turned out to be downstairs. Nonetheless a new adventure.