Saturday, September 29, 2007

Reading News

Have I complained lately about being driven mad by this library system's 5-books-at-a-time 5-holds-at-a-time rule for new cardholders?? Yesterday I had to surrender Robert Michael Pyle's Wintergreen, which I'm probably not going to get to until next week, in order to check out a mystery I wanted. So today I brought back the mystery I finished last night and made them find Wintergreen, still in the back room, and checked it out again. But then I found Kerry Greenwood's Murder on the Ballarat Train on the shelf and somehow opened it to remind myself of a certain plot thread. And the next thing I knew I was sitting at a table there in the library re-reading it--couldn't check it out and go home to lie down on the couch, right, 'cause I already have 5 books out (and couldn't very well hand Wintergreen back to them again). Eventually I hunted for a corner with comfortable chairs, and read the entire thing. Don't tell the serious-reading police. I'm sorry, officer, I didn't mean to.

What? Oh, I asked the other day. November 11th is the date I'll have had my card three months and they'll decide I can be trusted.

No comments: